Why Do We Get Decreased Elasticity And Hydration?
Wouldn’t it be great to have a 16 year old skin while at 40? Most persons would answer a resounding yes! Well, there are ways to slow down the aging process, people will still experience a reduction in elasticity and hydration. What is elasticity and what is hydration? This article will provide you with helpful information about the reason for a decrease in both hydration and elasticity of the skin. You will also find a few tips to help you protect and care for your skin. While you cannot stop nature, you can prolong having that fresh youthful look.
To get back your normal, younger looking skin, and to also prevent aging, try Obagi moisturizers.
What gives the skin elasticity?
The skin gets its elasticity from two important proteins called collagen and elastin. They are responsible for keeping the skin firm and elastic. Collagen gives the skin strength while elastin is responsible for the elasticity or springiness of the skin. They are able to achieve this by forming fibers which work to hold the skin together and give it that elastic feel.
What causes skin to lose its elasticity?
Unfortunately, as you begin to age, the production and retention of these two powerful proteins begin to decrease. Several things cause this to happen including glycation which acts against collagen production. The result is that the skin begins to lose its springiness and instead starts to sag and wrinkle. Certain disorders relating to connective tissues also impact on the skin’s elasticity but changing the skin tissue’s elastic properties. Additionally, hyaluronic acid which helps the skin to maintain its firmness is lost as a result of certain enzymes that hinder its function.
Causes of hydration
- Damage to the protective barrier of the skin resulting in extreme loss of water through the skin.
- Decreased concentration in the water-holding protein and sugar molecules of the skin.
- Environmental conditions such as exposure to the sun, humidity, pollution and coldness.
- Hygiene and lifestyle habits or changes.
Tips to keep the skin hydrated
- Drink lots of water to replace moisture lost through perspiration and excretion. You should drink about seven to eight glasses of water to help to keep your skin hydrated.
- After taking a shower and washing your hands, use a moisturizer to keep your skin soft and supple. Purchase a good moisturizer that can give your skin the hydration balance that it needs. Moisturizers that contain antioxidants are usually effective in maintaining the normal hydration level of the skin.
- Use emollients or find products that contain this ingredient. This will enhance the appearance of your skin by contributing to its softness, smoothness and flexibility while hydrating the skin.
As you can see, skin care should not be taken lightly. In order to keep the skin hydrated while maintaining its firmness, there are certain things you should do on a regular basis. This includes replenishing the body with water as well as using moisturizers and emollients. The health of your skin is dependent on finding the products that can provide the nutrients and balance that your skin needs and deserves.
Posted under Miscellaneous Content
This post was written by NTFP_Assistant on December 29, 2011